Since my Mother-in-law came and visited us yesterday, I made a pot of Chicken Thai Curry for lunch. Can you believe this pot was gone in one day?
· 5 to 6 pounds of boneless or skinless chicken thighs ( I used chicken thighs.)
· ½ teaspoon kosher salt
· ½ teaspoon of pepper
· 1 can of coconut milk (use 2 cans if you like the broth to be richer.)
· 1 tablespoon of olive oil
· 3 cups of chicken stock or water
· 1 can of coco rico soda
· 1 medium shallot (minced)
· 1 -4 cloves of garlic (minced)
· 1 small onion, chopped medium
· 3 or 4 stalks of lemongrass (lightly bruise the stalks with a big knife to release its flavor)
· 4-5 carrots (cut in cube)
· 4 chilli pepper (keep whole)
· 1-2 TB of cornstarch (optional – if eat curry with bread, then add the cornstarch.)
· 7-8 small rock sugar
· 1-3 tablespoons Thai curry paste (I use MAESRI brand – RED CURRY PASTE – 1 can 4oz)
· 2 tablespoon of yellow curry powder
· 2 tablespoon of Indian curry powder
· 3 big potatoes (cut in cubes)
· 4 or 5 sweet potatoes (cut in cube)
· 2 TB of fresh/thaw kaffir lime leaves, thinly sliced (save some for garnish)
1) Cut the chicken into medium-sized chunks and season with the following ingredients to marinade and set aside:
Salt, pepper, shallot, garlic, Thai curry powder and paste, kaffir lime leaves, chicken bouillon powder and oil
2) Prepare the carrot, sweet potatoes and regular potatoes (cut in cube)
3) In a wok or pot on high heat, add 1 tablespoon of cooking oil and sautee the marinated chicken. Cook for 7-8 minutes.
4) Deep fried the sweet potatoes and set aside
5) Pour the half cooked chicken in the big pot and add the chicken stock/water
6) Add in the carrots .
7) Trim of the spiky top and the base of the lemongrass stalks & remove the first few outer layers and bruise the stalks by crushing them lightly with the big knife. Add the lemongrass to the pot.
8) Add the rock sugar
9) Add the sweet potatoes
10) Bring the pot to boil and reduce to low heat and simmer until everyone is cooked.
11) Add the 4 chili pepper
12) Serve with French bread of noodles. If serve with bread, then add in the 2 TB of cornstarch.