Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Vietnamese Chicken Ragu

What is Vietnamese Chicken Ragu Anyway? I had it on a few occasions. My in-law always made them and gave it to us. I never really cook it myself, and sometimes I actually asked my Mother-in-law the recipe how to make it. And believe me, I never did. Not until recently, I discovered this was my hubby’s favorite dish. And since I still have some potatoes at home, I am determined to make Chicken Ragu.




This dish includes chicken, onion, tomato paste, ketchup, carrots, potatoes, shallots, fish sauce, salt, pepper, sugar, tapioca flour, garlic, coconut soda, mushroom, water, and olive oil.


It’s a comfort meal and it tastes great with French bread.



Here is the whole pot. Yummy! :-)




Ingredients:
-1/4 cup of ketchup
-4 teaspoon salt
-2 teaspoon black pepper
-1/2 tablespoon of sugar
-fish sauce (1TB - 2TB. Add more to suite your taste.)
- 4 cloves of minced garlic
-1.5 cup of coconut juice
-1 small can of tomato paste
- 4 potatoes (cut into cubes)
- 4 medium carrots (cut into 1in. section)
-1 big onion (sliced)
-1 container of mushroom (cut into halves)
-5 pounds of chicken cut into desire size (I took the chicken skin off)
-olive oil
-1 small shallot
-2 bottles of water


Method:
-Marinade the chicken with alt, pepper, garlic, shallot, and a little bit of fish sauce.
-Coat a large pan or pot with cooking oil and put on medium heat.
-Add 1/2 of the remaining garlic and shallot. Add the remaining salt and pepper as well as the potatoes and carrots.
-Sear the outside of the vegetables for 5 minutes.
-Place the potatoes and carrots in a seperate container.
-Coat the pot or pan again with olive oil .
-Add remaining garlic and sear the outside of the chicken for 5 minutes.
-Add the tomato paste, coconut juice, water, fish sauce, and sugar to the pot.
-Simmer on medium heat for 30-45 minutes or until the potatoes and carrots are tender.
-Add the mushrooms and onions. Let simmer for another 15-20 minutes on low heat.
-Add the ketchup and tapioca flour to give some thickness to the sauce.

-Serve with French bread.

-Garnish with cilantro.


Enjoy!

4 comments:

Jo said...

A friend has recommended your recipe. Would you mind if I used it in my blog?

Zoe said...

No problem, Joe. Thanks for visiting my blog.

Cheers,
Zoe

Zoe said...

sorry for the typo with your name :-( It shoud be Jo instead of Joe.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing!! looks so yummy