Sunday, August 24, 2008

Steamed honey comb cake with coconut flavor

I just learned how to make these tiny adorable honey comb cakes. I have tried this in the past, but I like this recipe better. It's from one of my net pal. The texture is quite different because I added tapioca flour in it. In the past, I only use rice flour. This time, the combination of rice flour and tapioca flour made the finished product fantastic. Check it out.



See the honey-comb texture?


I just love all the rainbow colors. It was so fun making these yummy, adorable cakes.



Below is the combination of part I & II added together and ready to let it sit overnight.



The next morning, the dough will look like this.



Then you add part III to the dough, and it will thin out like below. Then let it sit for another three hours or so in luke warm water.



After 3 hours, you can start mixing color. You can make any color you like. As you can see below, I have yellow, light green, white , pink , and cherry color. I heard if you combine red and blue it will come out purple. But it did not work for me :-( It came out this cherry color. Oh well. Maybe next time, I have better luck.




Once you steamed it, you want to put them in a pan fillled with cold water so they can cool off.




Once they are cool off, you are done. I only made 1 bag of rice flour and 1/3 bag of tapioca flour. And I have tons of them. It's a great snack.



Recipe from be' con.

Ingredients:

Part I - Form the Dough.
1 bag of rice flour
1/3 bag of tapioca flour
1 teaspoons of baking powder
1 & 2/3 cup of luke warm water. Pour in slowly into the flour. Then mix it together.

Part II - Dough
1/3 cup of water and put in microwave for 20 second
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon of all purpose flour
1 small bag of yeast (~2TB)
Mix all ingredients of part II together. Then add Part I & Part II together.
Let it sit over night.

Part III: simple syrup
1 can of coconut milk
1/2 can of cold water
2 & 3/4 cup sugar

Method:
1) In a small pot, put all ingredients of part III and bring it to a boiled. Then let it cool.
2) Add the dough from part II and simple syrup together and let it sit for an additional of 3 hours in luke warm water. This will be the mixture you will use to steam the honey comb cake.
3) Pour the mixture into 4 containers.
4) Add color to each container (i.e. pink, white, green, yellow. ect)
5) Grease the small mould with oil.
6) Bring a water to a boil, and put the tiny moulds with the mixture into the steammer.
7) Steam from 5-7 minutes
8) Let it cool in cold water (see picture above)
9) Done.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is so good!
Thanks for sharing with us.

Zoe said...

You're welcome. Try the recipe. It's very yummy. :-)

-Zoe

Anonymous said...

hi, Zoe

I like your steam honey comb cake with coconut flavor, but i love the size of pan, just a little, where do you get it? Please let me know about it. My email
t69wang@yahoo.com
thanks,

♥ESTEE♥ said...

I've failed making this cake twice since the recipes I read did not include good photo instructions like yours.Better try this one day.Thanks =)

Zoe said...

Estee - Good Luck. Let me know how it turned out.

-Zoe

Anonymous said...

Hi Zoe,

Do you cover the dough with a plastic wrap after you have combined Part I and Part II together? Also, doesn't this banh bo smell because of the yeast?

Issy

Anonymous said...

Hi Zoe,

Do you cover the dough from Part I & Part II with a plastic wrap? Also, doesn't this banh bo smell because of the yeast?

Issy

Anonymous said...

Hi Zoe,

I made this last night but didn't have a chance to eat it yet. I called home to ask my mother-in-law if it has any honey-comb banh bo and it does. Thank you so much for your wonderful recipes. I will try this afternoon when I get home.

Issy

Anonymous said...

Zoe,

I made this yesterday but din't have a chance to try it yet. I did called home to ask if these are honey-comb and they are. I will definitely try these when I get home. Thank you.

Issy

Zoe said...

Issy,
I am glad you love the recipes. You must of love to cook huh? I used to be like you. Now, I don't cook as much like I used to anymore. Sometimes, I just want to relax and not have to cook :-)

-Zoe

Anonymous said...

Hi Zoe,
I live in Australia. Can u please advise:
1) baking powder is single or double acting?
2) 1 bag yeast - dry western yeast or chinese wine yeast? Whts the weight in grams or oz? Is TB = tablespoon??

Thks,
Chelsea

Zoe said...

Chelsea,
I used double acting regular baking power so I guess it's single acting? 2tablespoon of regular western yeast.

-Zoe

Anonymous said...

Thks for the info, Zoe!

Chelsea

Unknown said...

Hi Trúc Vi,

Thanks for the helpful recipe. I makes it today and it turns out great, except the surface kind of flat - it's not puffy like yours. I don't know if the steam and heat involved. Do I need to bring the molds to a hot temperature before pouring the mixture into them? Please show me how you make them to get the puffy look.

Thanks again, Truc Vi
Thuyvi

Zoe said...

ThuyVi,
Yes, you need to bring the moulds to a hot temperature before pouring the mixture into them. Also, If you pour the mixture a little bit more int the moulds, you will have the puffy look.

good luck,
Truc Vy

Anonymous said...

Hi,
In your recipe, you said one bag of rice flour, can you tell me exactly how much? also for the tapioca flour?
Thanks

Zoe said...

one bag of rice flour = 16oz. Tapioca flour, I used about 1/4 cup.

Anonymous said...

your recipe called for baking powder and not yeast, so i was wondering if the texture comes out like steamed cake? I tried Uyen Thy (SBTN) not sure if you ever watch her show, anyhow, she also used baking powder, which i've tried, and it's more like steam cakes and not steamed honey comb, granted it does have the 'combs', light and fluffy, but it's not the same

Bang said...

Hi,

your recipe has (Part 2 - Dough), what will that do for the final banh bo? Because other recipes i've seen only had your Part 1 and Part 3. Just that they used yeast in part 1 instead of baking powder.

Also should i let the dough sit over-night with a cover on?

Anonymous said...

can you tell exactly how much flour you use cause 1/3of bag doesnot work well for me?