Monday, August 11, 2008

Steamed Banana Cake / Muffins

What do you do with left over bananas? You can make a variety of cakes, muffins, and other Asian desserts. I ran accross this steamed banana cake recipe while surfing the net. You can bake it, but I guess it's better if we steam it since we all so health conscious these days. Also, you can make banana steam muffins instead of one big cake. For me, I just use a square glass pan since i'm so lazy to pour the mixture into individual muffin cups. Like always, I don't like my cake too sweet. I have modified the recipe to suit my taste. Also, as you know ripe bananas are very sweet to begin with. Therefore, there is no need to add more sugar.


This is what it looks like while steaming it. I have to take the cover off to wipe off all the steam because I don't want them to drip on my cake.



Surprisingly, it turned out very good. This would be a great treat for breakfast with a cup of hot coffee or tea. I guess it would look cutter if I use the muffin cups. Next time...maybe next time I will use the muffin cups, but no promise :-)




Ingredients: (12 big muffins)
4 Eggs
100g sugar (you can put more if you like sweeter)
4 ripe bananas, mashed
2- 3 cups of Self-raising Flour
2 tsp Baking Soda
1 cup oil
Methods:
1. Sift together self-raising flour and baking soda, set aside.
2. In a mixing bowl, whisk together Eggs and sugar till ribbon stage.
3. Mix in mashed bananas, beat till combine.
4. Gently fold in flour mixture and Oil.
5. Pour Batter into any pan or muffin cups if you are going to make individual muffins.
6. Steam over high heat for 20 minutes or till an inserted skewer comes out clean.

No comments: