This is another Asian snack that I love. Finally, I know how to make it. I have to say this was my second attempt. The first attempt was a year ago, and it did not turn out well. While frying the rice balls, they kept exploding in the oil. It freaked me out so bad so I told myself never to make this snack ever again. But I just love this snack so much. To satisfy my craving, I kept searching for the recipe. This recipe belongs to Chi. Xuân Hồng. It would not explode when you fry them. They are perfect, crunchy on the outside and yummy on the inside. I think I will make another batch soon.
By the way, if you understand Vietnamese this is her video.
Shell - In the standing mixture, add all the ingredients and let it mix for about 15-20 min.
-1 bag (16oz) of glutinous rice flour (bo^.t ne^'p)
- 3/4 cup + 1 TB of rice flour (bo^.t ga.o)
-100 gram of sweet potato (already steamed & mashed)
-water mixture: In another bowl add the following:
1 cup of sugar
1+1/2 cup of water + additional 1/3 cup of water
put in microwave for 40 sec and mix well
-Add the water mixture
-2 teaspoon of baking powder
-1 soup spoon of canola oil
-Take the dough out and put in the bowl, and let it sit for 1 hour
1 bag of Peeled and split mung bean
1 cup of sugar + 1/2 cup of water
1/2 bag of grated coconut
1 small bag of vanilla or 1 teaspoon of mali flavor
1 soup spoon of canola oil
Put on the stove and mix well
Let it cool and divide them into ball shape
1) Soak the mung bean in water until soft
2) Steam the mung bean and mash
3) In a non-stick pan, Add the rest of the filling ingredients
4) Stir fry over medium heat until thickened.
6) Take the fillings out and let it cool and divide them into small golf balls.
Making banh cam:
1) Wet hand with some water
2) Take some dough and add the filling
3) Put filling in the middle of dough and roll them into ball shape
4) Roll it in sesame seeds and they are ready to be fried.
5) Fry them for 15-20 minutes
Fry pan and oil level:
1) In a stainless steel pan, Add some canola oil
2) Turn heat to medium for 5 min
3) Change it to low
4) Add the banh cam into pan
5) Fry them for 5 min
6) Change heat to medium
7) Fry them until golden