I have the crave for Vietnamese hot and sour fish soup for the longest time now. The reason I did not make it sooner is because I don't have all the ingredients. Yesterday, hubby and I went to Costco and we got some talapia. Today, I got some tomatoes, enorki mushrooms, and dills. And voila`, dinner is ready. This is a very healthy dinner.
You will need the following items:
Chicken or Pork broth, Tomato, dill, mushroom, fish sauce, sugar, salt, tamarind or lemon juice.
In a large saucepan, bring the stock to a boil, then stir in the tamarind, the tomato wedges, and 3 Tablespoons of fish sauce. Simmer for 3 minutes, then add the fried fish balls. See recipe below.
Remove from heat and stir in the enorki mushrooms, and dills. This soup can be served with rice. Spoon rice into the bowls, then ladle the soup over each one and top with the lime wedges.
Fish balls: This recipe is from Chi. Xoai` .
1lb of Talapia filet
1 1/2 Tsp of fish sauce
1Tsp olive oil
1/4 bag of Alsa baking powder
1) Mix all the ingredients together and marinate for 2 hours. (Keep refrigerated)
2)Use the food processor and grind it into a fish paste.
3) Add 1 & 1/2 Tsp of garlic powder.
4) Add some dills
5) Put the fish paste in the freezer for 1 hour.
6) Use the standing mixer and let it mix the fish paste for 30 minutes so the fish balls has a bouncy texture.
7) Make them into the ball shape, and fry them.