Monday, January 12, 2009

Korean Glass Noodles - Jap Chae


I never cook Jap Chae before. However, I have seen my sister made it so many times. She always put beef in this dish. I keep telling myself that one of these days, I will make this Korean glass noodles, jap chae. Well, today is the day to do it since I am off from work. Last week, I got all the ingredients. This is a quick, easy, yummy dinner. You can eat it cold or hot.

Originally, I was not going to put any meat in it, but since I have one piece of chicken breast left I decided to add it to this dish.



Of course, you will need the main ingredient, the noodles. In this bag, it has three small bunch of noodles. I only have to use two of them. I already prepared the veggies in advance. It is so much easier when you put all of them together.


These are the veggies that you will need. I have carrot, scallion, mushroom, black fungus (optional), purple onion, white onion and garlic. If you like seafood, you can add shrimp, and squid. I just added chicken.


This is a very healthy dish. As you can see this dish mostly consists of different kind of veggies, noodles, and chicken.

Ingredients:
  • 1 package of sweet potato noodles
  • 1 small white onion, sliced thinly
  • 1 small red onion, sliced thinly
  • 3 large carrot, julienned
  • 2 cups of washed spinach (I marinated with a little bit of sugar and soy sauce after it has been cooked)
  • 1 chicken breastm,sliced thinly (you can use beef or seafood if you like)
  • 3/4 cup thinly sliced shiitakes mushroom (a little sugar and soy sauce and garlic)
  • 3/4 cup of black fungus (optional)
  • 3 cloves of minced garlic
  • 3 T soy sauce (You can add more to suit your taste)
  • 1 T of oyster sauce (You can add more to suit your taste)
  • 1 T granulated sugar
  • 3 tsp of sesame oil
  • 1 1/2 Olive oil
  • 1 T toasted sesame seeds
  1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add the dried noodles. Boil for about five minutes. Drain in a colander. The noodles are very long so I cut them shorter. It's definitely much easier to manage.
  2. In a wok , heat the olive oil over medium-high heat until it is shimmering. Stir-fry the carrots, onions, and mushrooms for a minute or two, until they are softened. Add the garlic, spinach, and scallions. Fry for another minute or until the greens are cooked down.
  3. Stir-fry the chicken.
  4. Add the noodles, sugar, and soy sauce. Toss everything together so that the veggies all mix in with the noodles. If it needs more salt, oyster sauce, pepper, sesame oil, add them to suit your taste.
  5. When everything is incorporated, add the toasted sesame oil and toss. After you’ve plated the noodles in a serving dish, sprinkle the toasted sesame seeds over the top.
  6. Garnish with cilantro.

Enjoy!

No comments: