Sunday, June 1, 2008

Xôi lá cẩm - Magenta Plant Steamed Glutinous Rice














One of my email Pal has sent me a plant called Magenta Plant, La' Ca^?m. Basically, people extract the color from these leaves and use it as a natural food coloring for cooking. I used mine today. I boiled a pot of water and put some of the leaves from this plant. Then I used it in my sticky rice. The color is amazingly beautiful. This is a Vietnamese dessert or people can eat it for breakfast. Sticky rice with coconut milk, vanilla, garnish with shredded coconut and sugar,salt, and sesame seeds. Enjoy!

Exotic Vegetable - Magenta Plant - Peristrophe roxburghiana-A tender perennially, this plant can be planted in the garden during summer, and brought inside for the winter. It produces small flowers in the brightest magenta shade. Leaf extract is used as a natural food coloring for sweet rice and other dishes. Excellent for hanging baskets.











No comments: